Seasonal nature conservation service
During the months of July, August and September, 20 members of the seasonal nature conservation service are on duty at South Tyrol’s nature parks. Particularly with the large influx of visitors during the high season, it’s important to have personnel available right at the parks who can provide information and raise visitors’ awareness, as this makes a major contribution to nature park and environmental education.
The mission of these people, who are stationed at the main entrances to the nature parks, is to make visitors aware of the conservation-area objectives of the park and to promote greater understanding of nature and the environment. They answer visitors’ questions concerning the nature parks, provide information on particular matters, and raise visitors’ awareness of the importance of acting in a manner that helps to conserve nature.
Job description for members of the seasonal nature conservation service
1. Mission: To promote acceptance and support from local residents and users
Answer questions related to nature conservation and protected areas, specifically the following:
- Provide information concerning the management and upkeep of private property that lies within the nature parks, as regards grazing, fertilizer use, mowing and so on;
- Provide information concerning nature park rules and regulations;
- Provide information concerning nature park objectives;
- Proactively promote cooperation in the realm of nature conservation;
- Document nature observations on the part of local residents and users;
- Improve the flow of information between local residents and authorities.
2. Mission: See to visitors’ needs
Help out with information related and educational tasks at visitor centers and at the parks:
- Help out at information centers and nature park houses;
- Conduct guided tours on specific topics;
- Help to organize special events;
- Monitor interpretive nature trails;
- Organize project events;
- Encourage visitors to act reasonably and cautiously while in the park as regards matters such as vehicle speed, prohibition against collecting samples, staying on the marked trails and so on.
Help with and provide advice concerning PR activities:
- Assist in the elaboration of informational materials;
- Distribute informational materials.li>
3. Mission: park conservation and upkeep
- Detect and observe hazards, and if possible eliminate them;
- Check the safety, cleanliness and functionality of hiking trails;
- Check the safety, cleanliness and functionality of visitor facilities;
- Report any defective signs;
- Help with research projects (e.g. data gathering for scientific studies);
- Help with surveys concerning visitor counts, visitor surveys and traffic counts